110 - South Seas Feast
Stuffed Chicken Thighs
For his South Seas Feast, 'Trader Nik' invited an old colleague,
Efron Nonan, to share some recipes from Paradise. With Nik as a
humble sous chef, the secrets of a sumptuous meal are revealed with
recipes for stuffed chicken thighs and an exotic Polynesian risotto
wrapped up in a banana leaf.
- 16 - 20 de-boned chicken thighs
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup soya sauce plus 1/2 cup
- 4 tbsp crushed fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups mixed, fresh julienned vegetables: leeks, zucchini,
red pepper, snow peas, carrots,
- straw mushrooms, yellow pepper
- 1 package bean sprout cellophane noodles
- Combine hoisin, soya and garlic and pour over chicken thighs,
coating both sides and under the skin.
- Wash and prepare assorted vegetables.
- Soften dried 'cellophane' noodles by placing them in a large
bowl and soak them in hot water. Drain.
- Heat wok to about 350 degrees and add enough oil to coat pan.
- Saute vegetables quickly .
- Add noodles to vegetable mixture in the wok.
- Add additional soya sauce.
- Remove from heat and when slightly cooled stuff each chicken
thigh with vegetable noodle mixture, rolling and tying with
butchers string at either end.
- Place them smooth side up in an oven proof dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve with Polynesian Risotto (see next recipe)