107 - Another Year
Good Fortune Cake Decorating Tips
In keeping with the Chinese theme for a friend's 30th birthday party,
Nik called in baker Wanda Beaver to get some tips on decorating
a cake that expresses a universal wish with oriental flare.
- Chinese symbol of good fortune to trace as a paper template
- red icing
- pure edible gold powder or flakes (available at cake decorating
shops and craft
- piping bag with small #4 nib and a star nib
- chocolate ganache
- finished cake
- For this birthday event, Savoir Faire started with a chocolate
cake with chocolate butter cream icing and a covering of chocolate
ganache (a coating made of melted chocolate and whipping cream
which sets quite firmly).
- Using plain white paper, trace and cut the Chinese symbol
for good luck.
- Place paper template on centre of cake.
- Gently squeeze red icing from piping bag, tracing the outline
of the symbol onto the top of the iced cake. Carefully remove
- Using another piping bag filled with ganache and using a star-shaped
nib, squeeze ganache around the base of the cake and then on
the top of the cake around its outer rim in a slightly back
and forth motion to create a dragon tail effect.
- Sprinkle top with gold.
- Pipe small red dots along the ganache ridge on the top of
- Sing Happy Birthday!